Homemade ‘Greenies’ Recipe
Why are homemade ‘Greenies’ a staple treat for our fur-pals?
Chlorophyll helps freshen doggie breath both by eliminating odors in the mouth and promoting a healthy digestive tract. Poor digestion being a primary reason for bad breath. We grow our own wheatgrass and juice it for shots and fruit smoothies. It packs a hardy chlorophyll punch! It’s easy to grow with this starter kit. Check it out.
No time or inclination to grow wheatgrass? No problem, you can find it powdered at Whole Foods, GNC, Vitamin Shoppe and Amazon.
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1/3 cup flour (plus more for dusting) * If your dog is sensitive to wheat/wheat gluten, brown rice flour and potato flour are good alternatives to flour.
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1/8 cup fresh mint leaves (about 10 leaves)
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons low-sodium soup stock (or beef broth/chicken broth)
- 1 tsp chlorophyll
- Place all ingredients in a food processor then process until Process the chickpeas are very fine and the dough is well mixed. Scrape down the sides when needed.
- Using the additional flour, lightly flour your work surface. Roll the dough out and use cookie cutters to shape the dog treats.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a 300-degree oven until crisp and lightly browned on the edges. For added crispness, leave treats in the oven to cool, with the oven door slightly ajar.
More Benefits of wheatgrass for pets:
- Nutritionally complete
- DNA repair
- Blood cleansing and building abilities of chlorophyll
- Builds blood and stimulates circulation
- Stimulates and regenerates the liver
- Deodorizes body
- Cleans the digestive tract
- Fights infection and disease
- Helps with colon health and stool problems
- Helps with oral health and gum disease
Hello, My name is Christina. I have been a groomer for 3 years. Bred Yorkshire Terriers exclusively for 14 years prior to that, with full attention to health, structure and AKC standards. All while being a Nurse. Nursing is my life-work, dogs are my hearts-work. Yes, I’m dog obsessed! They have a way of tying themselves to your heart <3