Homemade Greenies Recipe
Why are homemade Greenies a staple treat for our fur-pals?
Chlorophyll helps freshen doggie breath both by eliminating odors in the mouth and promoting a healthy digestive tract. Poor digestion being a primary reason for bad breath. We grow our own wheat-grass and juice it for shots and fruit smoothies. It packs a hardy chlorophyll punch! It’s easy to grow with this starter kit. Check it out.
No time or inclination to grow wheat-grass? No problem, you can find it powdered at Whole Foods, GNC, Vitamin Shoppe and Amazon.
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1/3 cup flour (plus more for dusting) * If your dog is sensitive to wheat/wheat gluten, brown rice flour and potato flour are good alternatives to flour.
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1/8 cup fresh mint leaves (about 10 leaves)
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons low-sodium soup stock (or beef broth/chicken broth)
- 1 tsp chlorophyll
- Place all ingredients in a food processor then process until Process the chickpeas are very fine and the dough is well mixed. Scrape down the sides when needed.
- Using the additional flour, lightly flour your work surface. Roll the dough out and use cookie cutters to shape the dog treats.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a 300-degree oven until crisp and lightly browned on the edges. For added crispness, leave treats in the oven to cool, with the oven door slightly ajar.
More Benefits of wheat-grass for pets:
- Nutritionally complete
- DNA repair
- Blood cleansing and building abilities of chlorophyll
- Builds blood and stimulates circulation
- Stimulates and regenerates the liver
- Deodorizes body
- Cleans the digestive tract
- Fights infection and disease
- Helps with colon health and stool problems
- Helps with oral health and gum disease